Interventional Radiology / Vascular and Interventional Radiology / Surgical Radiology / Pin hole Radiology is a specialty of radiology, where image - guided procedures are used for the purpose of diagnosis as well as treatment of a multitude of diseases across all body systems.
Usage of the least invasive technique or minimally invasive procedure possible to diagnose or treat is the basic concept behind interventional radiology. Interventional procedures are usually done with instruments like needles and narrow tubes. Images are used to provide road maps and direct interventional procedures, allowing the interventional radiologist to steer the instruments through the body to the affect area.
Marginal interventions like interventional radiology help minimize the physical trauma to the patients, reduce the rate of possible infections, and offer shorter recovery periods.
PROCEDURES IN INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY :
- Cryoblation : A procedure used to remove or freeze cancer causing tumors harming healthy tissue.
- Embolization therapy : It is used to block blood supplied to a tumor.
- Catheter directed thrombolysis: A procedure used to dissolve blood clots, which can cause disability from deep vein thrombosis and stroke.
- Angioplasty and stenting of the cerebral artery : To prevent a stroke.
- Sclerotherapy procedure: To treat Cerebral aneurysms and Arteriovenous malformations.